17 November 2008

A brief history

My lifelong interests in music and woodworking led me, at age seventeen, to begin an apprenticeship with renowned cello maker Lawrence Wilke in 1995. After the three-year apprenticeship was completed, I was hired to assist Mr. Wilke in the making of his cellos. During this time, we experimented widely in the copying of Italian instruments.

At the 2004 Violin Society of America competition, Lawrence Wilke and I were given the highest tone award for a Cello we had made together. The instrument is now owned by Nicholas Tzavaras of the Shanghai String Quartet. I also submitted a violin to the competition that earned a Certificate of Merit for workmanship.
In 2005, at the age of 27, I was certified as a Master Violin Maker by Lawrence Wilke.
I now make instruments from my own shop in Guilford, CT.

No comments: